Professional Communication (IEHPs)
Internationally Educated Health Professionals (IEHPs)
Click here to view the flyer: Professional Communication for Internationally Educated Health Professionals (IEHPs)
For entry into bridging/refresher programs and professional practice do you need to:
- Improve your communication for entry into professional practice?
- Improve your pronunciation?
- Expand your health and idiomatic vocabulary?
- Improve your written skills for documentation?
- Increase your awareness of communication styles?
- Increase your understanding of culturally expected behaviors of the Canadian health care system?
What’s the Approach?
This is a performance-based course. The performance based approach includes:
- Communication practice (language and behaviour) of role-plays: clients, families and health teams
- Coaching of role-plays
- Filming of rehearsed and unrehearsed role-plays
- Use of standardized patients/actors
- Feedback and self reflection.
The content is organized in a hierarchy of increasing communicative complexity.
Who is elligible?
Internationally Educated Health Professionals who:
- have been assessed using the Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test at the CLB 6 – 9 levels with a minimum score of 6 in Reading, Writing, Speaking, and Listening
- can make a commitment to attend the program and are able to attend class Monday – Friday for 15 weeks.
- Are Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
The course will be held at:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
12666 - 72nd Avenue
The course is 15 weeks long and will run for:
5 days a week for 4 hours per day
Time: 8am – 12 noon
Course Start and End Dates
Course 1: January 5th - April 16th, 2009
Course 2: May 4th - August 14th, 2009
Course 3: September 7th - December 18th, 2009
There are no tuition fees for these courses.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University Application and Other Student Fees: $105
How to Apply
Take the Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test (CLBPT) at any one of the following locations. The test takes 2 hours:
Surrey Language Assessment Centre
202-7337 137 Street
Immigrant Services Society of BC, Language College
# 501 - 333 Terminal Ave.
Vancouver, BC V6A 2L7
(604) 684-2561 ext. 1182
Contact: Lois Armerding
MOSAIC Language Centre
301-2730 Commercial Dr.
Vancouver, BC V5N 5P4
Vancouver Community College
Room 4027 4th Floor 1155 East Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5T 4V5
Open Mon, Tue + Thu 9-4 Wed 1-7pm Closed Friday.
Appointments must be made in person and student must present photo ID (permanent resident card). Cost is $30 for admissions and $50 for assessment.
Total Fee: $90
Fill in the Application Form and return by email to:
or by fax to: 604-875-5737
You will need to fax a copy of your CLBPT results with your application clearly identifying your name on the top.
Deadline for Applications for Course 1: November 21st, 2008
If you are accepted into the Workplace Communication Skills Course, you will be required to complete an application to Kwantlen Polytechnic University
For more information call Sandy Berman at 604-873-8545